Friday, August 7, 2009

Home on the 15th

A little over a week left before we return home to VA! The Adirondacks are beautiful though and this has been a great summer overall. It started out a big rough, with one of the other staff members (and friend of mine) getting appendicitis and taking a trip to the hospital for surgery. He's back at camp though and it's good to see him feeling better. H1 has been busy working on the waterfront again. He's been teaching a few classes, like sailing, swimming, and canoeing, but has mostly been working on some odds and ends projects that have needed to be done for years--like repainting canoes, builing boatracks, etc. He's enjoyed it and has had a great time seeing friends again.

H3 and I hang out in the health lodge during the day, cleaning up scrapes, cuts, and sprains as they come in--well, I do the caring for and she does the cheering up. Everyone loves her, staff, scouts, and scoutmasters alike. It's hard to frown when she's smiling at you. She's been such a trooper. Hardly a fuss the entire time she's been up here. Despite her schedule changing drastically, she's been happy and content most of the time.

I wish I could upload some pictures of our trip now, but will have to wait until we get home. There's only dial-up here in the health lodge, and it's too far to get to town in the evenings. Suffice it to say that our free time on the weekends has been great! Last weekend we went to a restaurant called Tail of the Pup and had ribs and pulled pork bar-b-que. Afterwards, we went canoeing across Tupper Lake and went cliff jumping. Got some pretty good pictures of the trip, but not of anyone jumping. My friend Alinda got some of the jumping pictures, so I'll have to get those from her. H3 hung out with one of the other guys while H1 and I jumped and swam. It was one of the most beautiful days of the summer and the water was perfect!

Oh, today H1 and I took a short drive after lunch during a break and picked some rasberries. Oh so yummy! I'm hoping to go blueberry picking when we get home and then apple picking in September. I love fresh fruit!

I have to get back to work, but there's a short update. More updates and lots of pictures in a week or so!

~H2

1 comment:

Carissa Blanchard said...

Thanks for the update! I've been thinking about you and wondering how you all are doing! HUGS!