Thursday, March 3, 2011

Random Thoughts for the Day

Today has been somewhat random for a Thursday. Most of my days each week are planned out with a to-do list. I love lists. There is a sense of satisfaction for me as I cross each thing off. Today, I didn't make a list. I knew there were some things that had to get done, like dishes, laundry, and making dinner--and I'm still getting to that last one--but I decided to just enjoy the day. I spent Monday substitute teaching at the high school and tomorrow will be the same, so I felt like I needed to take advantage of today. H3 and I spend time playing with flashcards and puzzles, playing in her room for a while, and then took a walk down to the Post Office and talked about flowers. Yes, you can have a conversation with a 2 year old about flowers. Mine prefers pink and purple flowers, as opposed to yellow dandelions. She also knows where the flowers are in the neighborhood that she can pick (the ones on the weeds) and will make a beeline for them. We also had a short lesson on kicking a soccer ball. She is surprisingly coordinated. After her nap she took a long bath, during which time we read Dr. Seuss's ABC book and talked about the sounds each letter makes. Her favorite phrase is "What does the (fill in the letter) say?"



Now, onto the random thoughts.



I really like the tufted titmouse that's been visiting the bird feeder outside my kitchen window. Her muted blue-ish gray color is very soothing and she seems to be such a polite little bird, if birds could be said to have such a trait. I'm really glad H1 put that bird feeder out. It was his Valentine's present to H3 and I, and we both enjoy watching the birds!

Moe and the Big Exit is probably my favorite Veggie Tales movie. So glad my father-in-law bought it for H3!

Peanut smells 10x better after his bath last night.

I got my first bug bite of Spring yesterday. Blasted mosquito. I hope it freezes one more time so they'll all die!

The varsity boys basketball team has made it to the state finals for their division (H1 does not coach them. He has started on jv baseball now). They have a game Saturday night at William and Mary, in Williamsburg, Va. Assuming they win that, there will be a game next Thursday night and then again on Friday in Richmond. They are a good team and stand a good chance of winning the state championships for A level schools.

My 93 year old neighbor is an inspiration for aging. I was talking with her yesterday afternoon as she was out attacking the dead leaves in her flower bed. Since we've moved here, I've watched her mow her lawn with a push mower every week from Spring to Fall, tend her miniature garden, knit hats and scarves for her church group that distributes them to those in need, and bake pies and breads to deliver around the neighborhood when she walks to visit different houses. The first time I met her, we had just moved in and she walked over to introduce herself with a pie. I hope that when I'm 93 I will have the passion for life and the passion for people that this lady has!

I love that my sweet hubby randomly brings me flowers! Sometimes he picks them, sometimes he buys them. I've never asked him to bring me flowers, but my house is often full of them.

Apparently it is possible to stab your thumb with the dishwasher. Last week I was starting to close up the dishwasher and my hand slipped and I slammed my thumb onto a little piece that holds the silverware rack. It still hurts to touch!

I did my taxes on paper for the first time this year, instead of using a program. I had to get help from my dad trying to figure out what to do for part of it (defining terms for me) and making sense out of the weird NY forms, but in the end I made it! It may seem sad, but I feel accomplished. I'm not good with technical finance and tax terms! Please give me Spanish instead!

That's all for tonight!

~H2

No comments: