Thursday, August 15, 2013

Quinoa & Veggie Dish - Gluten Free and Yummy!

Recently I was browsing online, hunting for gluten free recipes, and I came across one that looked like something our family would enjoy. It has certainly become a favorite for H4 and me, and H1 and H3 like it as well (except for H3 picking out the carrots). I have added in chicken, just because our family enjoys it, but you can leave it out for a vegetarian option.

1 cup quinoa (I use the pre-washed stuff)
2 cups of chicken stock or water
16oz bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 and 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced onion ( or you could cut up a small onion, but I'm a bit lazy)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chicken, pre-cooked and cubed (I use about 1lb, and cook it in a bit of olive oil on the stovetop over low heat with salt, onion powder, and ground thyme)

In a saucepan, bring chicken stock to boil and add quinoa. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until almost all the liquid is gone. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium and add garlic, onion, black beans, and the frozen mixed veggies. Cook about 15 minutes or until veggies are tender, stirring as needed.  Add quinoa and chicken to the skillet and add salt or pepper if needed. I have found with using the chicken stock, we don't need much salt.  Enjoy!

~H2


No comments: