Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It's January!

We arrived home from our trip to a warm evening. It had been in the 60s earlier that day and H1 and I were sweating by the time we unloaded the van. The last couple days have cooled off considerably and it feels more like winter. No snow though. Apparently we had a foot of snow in VA while our family was gone, but we missed it all.

Trying to get back into the swing of things has been a challenge. The day before we left for our trip (on the 23rd), I woke up with symptoms of a sinus infection. H3 had been sick the previous week and was still coughing and sniffling at that point. She managed to get better during the first leg of our trip, but I was miserable for the first week and spent part of Christmas Eve and Christmas in bed, trying to get rid of this thing. By the end of our trip, I thought it was almost over, but I woke up yesterday with increased sniffles. There're no other symptoms with this other than head congestion and sniffles. It's like walking around in a constant fuzz with a headache. I'm so thankful for Charmin tp right now. I don't buy tissues in the store, so tp is the only option at the house and happily this brand is soft! Probably the biggest challenge, other than energy, is attitude. I don't know about you, but I'm cranky when I'm sick! I prefer to curl up in a hole and hide, but as wife and mommy, that's completely impossible. God and I have been having frequent chats about that. My sweet hubby has been very gracious and helped out big time with the house and H3.

This morning was especially trying. H3 woke up crying and I brought her in our room to snuggle with me while H1 was getting ready for work. She rarely gets to hang out in our room, so it's normally a happy time for her. She snuggled right in and fell asleep for a while. At 7:45 she woke up suddenly and threw up all over me. So gross! We sat in the bathroom and I held her for a while until she seemed to feel better, then cleaned both of us up and went out into the living room. No sooner than I'd gotten her settled on the couch with her morning cup of milk and the dog decided to empty his bladder onto my carpet. H1 had just taken him outside before he left for work at 7:30, so I have no idea why he decided to do this now. He did this several times on our trip too, and it's not normal for him. Peanut has been in a funk during our entire trip and now that we're home it hasn't stopped. He's used to traveling with us, but has never done this before. Maybe it's an age thing? He's just been walking around the house, whining constantly since we've been back. I'm not sure what to do about him and with H3 and I both under the weather, my brain hasn't focused on the dog problems too much yet!

Tonight is the first basketball game in 3 weeks for H1. I'm hoping the kids do well. They were playing really well before the break, and sometimes it's hard to get back in the rythym of things.

Oh. I almost forgot. Between presents we gave her and presents from my in-laws, H3 now has some wonderful pre-school items. I'm looking forward to working with her more and should post some pictures soon of our efforts. Last night we rolled out play-doh and cut it into shapes. H3 is already familiar with squares, hearts, circles, diamonds, and triangles, but right before dinner, H1 taught her something new. A hexagon! It was so cute, listening to her try to pronounce it. After a few attempts, she said it pretty clearly and would ask us to cut one out for her so she could count the sides. When all the shapes were cut and lined up on the table, she pointed and said the name of each shape. My little baby is growing up!

"Faith is not a sense, nor sight, nor reason, but simply taking God at His word." ~Christmas Evans

"The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety." ~George Mueller

Exerpts from my morning reading that are oh so applicable!

~H2

No comments: