Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring Breaks for Dad H. and H1

These past couple weeks have been packed full of fun! Last week my father-in-law came to visit during his spring break. The first day he watched H3 for me so I could go up to the high school and substitute. The rest of the week we just focused on lots of family time. We hung out with H3 in her room, took her to the park, and went on lots of walks. I know I’ve said it before, but I really treasure my father-in-law and the blessing that his friendship is. We sit and have coffee in the mornings and chat while H3 is playing, and I miss his company already! He’s so much fun to hang out with.

Reading in H1's room

Pop-pop swing too?

Writing the alphabet in the dirt

This past week was H1’s spring break. We were originally planning a trip to see my parents, but since my mom isn’t feeling well, we stayed home. The school year has been a long one so far and I think H1 was starting to feel burnt out, and this break has been good for him. We spent several days at home just relaxing. On Wednesday we met up with my friend Deana and her son Caleb at the Norfolk Zoo. Her husband was having trouble with his back and unable to join us. We certainly missed him, since he and H1 get along wonderfully, but we had a good time. Caleb and H3 ran around most of the day and were really excited about all the animals, especially the bears, buffalos, elephants, giraffes, and the farm animals.

H3 and H1 staring out at the turtles and geese in a pond

Me and Deana

H3 and Caleb

They really enjoyed the train ride too!

We hadn’t been before and neither had Deana, even though she grew up nearby. I’m so glad she recommended us going. We were supposed to have lunch the next day too, but only H1 was able to get there. He was already in Williamsburg that morning and H3 and I were supposed to come later and all of us meet Chris, Deana, and Caleb for lunch. H3 and I left in plenty of time, but wound up sitting for almost half an hour in construction traffic on our way to the ferry and then the ferry traffic was backed up so far that we would have been 1 ½ - 2 hours later before arriving. I had to call and cancel since we were so late and H3 was incredibly cranky from sitting in the car! She’s fine as long as the car is moving, but you need ear plugs if you’re stuck in stand-still traffic!

Today, H3 and I hung around the house while H1 took some time at another friend’s house and worked with him on some speaker boxes for that friend’s car. He also made a little wood platform to put H3’s window a.c. unit on. We’re pulling out that unit tomorrow, since the whole next week is supposed to be in the mid-high 80s!
I guess that pretty much covers everything. I’m sure I’ll have more pictures to post after this weekend! Our church is having a large Easter egg hunt for the toddlers and 4-7 year old class (my 8-11 year old class is organizing that) and after church our family is headed to Amber’s for lunch. I’m really looking forward to this weekend!


No comments: