Sunday, March 26, 2017

Sunday Evening

It's Sunday evening. Josh is at Teen Night out at the camp.  He left at 4 and it's now 6:30, roughly an hour before I wrangle our little minions in to bed. Speaking of minions. They watched "Up" and ate popcorn for dinner.  They wanted popcorn, and I didn't want to make dinner. It was a great compromise. Did you eat popcorn for dinner as a kid?  I know I did. Popcorn, waffles, and watermelon could all be considered a dinner entree in my book. I still enjoy them to this day. Ask poor Josh. We probably spent 1/6 of our grocery budget on watermelon during my pregnancies with Amberlyn, Elizabeth, and Declan. I still enjoy it all summer. Fortunately, Amberlyn and Lizzy also eat it with me!  I'm glad at least a couple of my kids appreciate it. I'm hoping Declan will be a fellow enthusiast this summer. He has just begun eating baby food like cereal, squash, and sweet potatoes.  So far he seems to like everything.

Ok, back to the movie "Up".  I love that movie.  It's not the most hilarious or exciting kids movie out there, but it is so loaded with moments that bring about wonderful discussion.  Tonight I cried a little, as I always do, when Carl is sitting alone without his wife. I talked with my older girls about death, and what happens to us when we die, but also what happens with those left behind.  I love watching Carl age with his wife, living a different kind of adventure than he had dreamed, but living a full life with the one he loved. And at the end, I love how he realized that his adventure wasn't over yet and he could have new adventures with Russell.  Tonight, with some tears, we talked about Pop-pop and Ya-ya, Josh's dad and mom.  Josh's mom passed away shortly after we were married and never got to meet her granddaughters (or Declan), and they would have adored her.  I talked to them about the life that Pop-pop and Ya-ya had together and then explained to them that when Ya-ya went to be with Jesus, God called Pop-pop to new adventures here on earth.  No matter what movie it is, Shannan picks it apart and analyzes them. Amberlyn has started to do the same. I know it's cuz their mama does it! I love finding good truths hidden in unexpected places. No, it's not the intent of the producers probably to have them in there, but none the less, most movies have something applicable to life (whether good or bad) and can bring about a satisfying conversation afterwards.

And speaking of adventure, I have to say my life has not ended up like I pictured it back when I was in college.  I had plans for my future of what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go. You know what?  God's plan was So. Much. BETTER.  I'm sitting here at my dining room window, watching an amazing South Dakota sunset, and listening to my 4 kids playing in the living room. I get to be a stay at home mom.  There was a time when I didn't know if that would be possible. I get to homeschool my kids.  I have an amazing husband who works hard to make this possible. I get to live in an indescribably beautiful state among an amazing people group that I had no idea I would ever meet when I was growing up. I get to serve these people and my Jesus here.  I love the friends I have made.  I chase cows out of my yard.  This is not a life that I had pictured for myself, but I can't imagine it being any better. Ok, maybe A.C. would be nice, but that's a minor detail. I'm talking the big stuff.  This summer we got to see Yellowstone, and I'm going to leave you with this picture of our family from before Declan was born.


~Jess

No comments: