Monday, July 30, 2012

It's That Time of Year

This is the time each year that I step back, take a deep breath, and feel like I'm diving into the ocean.  The fall season is the busiest for our family, and today marks the beginning of it.  H1 left before 6:30 this morning for football practice that began at 7:00.  He'll be going in at that time each morning until August 20th, when teacher workdays start, and then the students will return to school on September 4th.  Once school is back in session, H1 will be working from 7am - 7pm on Monday - Wednesday, and then with games on Thursdays and Fridays, his day usually extends until 10:30 at the earliest.  As a blessing though, I think all of the away games are less than 2 hours away this year.  Some of the 3+ hour commutes in the past have found him getting home around 2am!  Football usually ends in mid November and we get a one week break before basketball begins, then Thanksgiving, more basketball, and Christmas break.  There.  In one paragraph, I've summed up our lives between now and the end of the year!

In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out how this whole mom of two things works.  H3 seems to be very content with the change and generally unruffled by her world turning on end.  H4 is a very sweet baby and sleeps quite a bit, though the past few days have been a bit rough.  She spent almost 2 hours crying last night and we never could figure out what was bothering her.  My biggest challenge is trying to coordinate everything.  H3 still needs help with quite a few things during the day, and right now H4 is nursing roughly every 2 hours.  Usually by the time I finish with one, the other needs something.  My house looks like a hurricane has been through it (and right now I'm glaring at the potato chip crumbs that are under my feet, courtesy of H3's lunch today).  I know I'll get organized at some point, though I'm not entirely sure when that will be.  Maybe by the end of the year?

Speaking of organizing, time to see if I can round up H3 and get her to take a nap!

~H2

2 comments:

Carissa Blanchard said...

I'd say give it at least 6 months. Then h4 will be on a better schedule and not nurse constantly (so proud of you by the way!!). I know it's tough though, especially with your husband being gone so much. Just don't expect too much from yourself. It's just a season that will pass quickly and before you know it, you'll be baking again, having a picked up house and longing for another little Nut to nurse and keep you up at night!!

Do you have an Ergo? You need one! Not until she's about 4 months old, but it will definitely help you get through the busy evenings when baby wants to be held but big sister needs some attention too! I still carry Marshmallow around on my back while I cook dinner. Sanity Saver!!

JJ said...

That's what I keep telling myself...that I will make it through this! I feel like I'm trying to climb a mountain right now!

I have an EcoSash, which I think is similar. I also have a home-made carrier that will work when she gets older. It's one that my college roomie made for me, styled after the baby carriers she saw while living in China. I used it with H3 until she was 2 (even used it for hiking).