Friday, May 25, 2012

A Little Bit More of May

We've had a busy month!  H3 seems to be pretty excited about her little sister coming soon.  She's taken to carrying around one of the ultrasound pictures and asking me regularly when "Baby Sister" will get here.  I tell her it's going to be 6 more weeks, and she's starting to try to bargain with me, saying "No, 5 weeks" or "4 weeks" or something along those lines.  It's kinda cute, though I'm sure this will turn into the lesson on the futility of trying to barter on time.




I've really been in the mood to make cookies lately.  I've made peanut butter oatmeal, chocolate with mint chips (H1's favorite, below), and just plain ol' chocolate chip.


Thanks to some dear friends of mine who let H3 stay with them for the weekend, H1 and I were able to spend a couple days to ourselves and celebrate our 7th anniversary.  At this point in pregnancy, I'm not able to do a whole lot, so we spent a Saturday seeing a couple movies in the theater (this was only the second time we've been to a theater in the last year) and then browsing through a few shops in Williamsburg.  We also happened to have giftcards to a few restaurants, so lunch and dinner were nicely provided for us.  Sunday we took a trip to Busch Gardens, which always makes me smile.  We had our honeymoon in this area 7 years ago and we went to Busch Gardens on one of the days.  



Again, I can't really do much of anything, so it was mostly a nice walk around, enjoying the beautiful weather and H1 riding a few roller coasters.  He hasn't gotten to ride anything this year so far, since each time we've been, he's been taking H3 on all the little kiddie rides.  H3 can ride a lot of them herself, but she likes company.  For those who don't live around here, the fun part about living close to Busch Gardens is that if you are a Virginia resident, you pay admission for one day and then you can go as many times as you want for the rest of the summer.  All you have to pay for is parking, though we upgrade one pass so we don't pay for that either.  If we visit 6 times, the pass pays for itself. With their new water-park area for little ones, it makes for a fun way to be outside during the miserable heat.


The last couple weeks have been pretty rainy, with spurts of sunshine and humidity. It hasn't been very good weather for playing outside.  Generally, H3 and I have still been taking our daily walks (about a mile in length) and spending just enough time outside to water my tomato, zucchini, and squash plants, and then hanging out inside for the rest of the day.  We've read lots of books and worked on a few crafts.  I've been teaching H3 how to read an analog clock and she is doing very well.  She doesn't have any issues with telling the hour, though we're still working on the minute thing.  I realized that I'll need to get a new clock or two (hoping to find a cheap one at a yard sale or something) that she can read easier than the main one in the living room.  My living room clock has an Eiffel Tower background and the whole piece looks antiqued.  I love it.  The problem is that it not only has Roman Numerals (which I'm pretty sure H3 is not ready to tackle), but the ticks that mark the minutes are also faded (purposefully).  I need to get a clock she can read easier.  Until then, we are working off of a little book that I'll post pictures of another time and some worksheets that I printed from a website.  She is also learning to read the digital clock correctly, though I'm not too sure how much of a feat that is.  She's been able to read the numbers on it for more than a year, it's just been a matter of having her understand that the hour is on the left and the minutes are on the right.



Summer is just about here!  Only 3 weeks of school left for H1!  I'm at 34 weeks today and really starting to count down.  I can't wait to hold this precious little girl and introduce her to her big sister.

Staying inside to avoid profuse sweating,
~H2

No comments: